Monday, June 22, 2009

Shopping and Eating, It's My Life

I went into Manhattan to meet the lovely Allison and Ursula for falafel and shopping. The East Village is full of boutiques and vintage stores that are endlessly entertaining. My favorite find of the day: a jewelry store with necklaces cast with the bust of each of the Golden Girls.

Photobucket

I would’ve had a Dorothy in a heartbeat except they were pretty darn expensive. Maybe when I’m a successful lawyer I’ll buy one. Or maybe when I’m a successful lawyer I’ll no longer want things like a Golden Girls necklace. Let's hope that never happens.

Another favorite: Fabulous Fanny's, a vintage eyeglasses store.
Photobucket
We spent forever trying on all kinds of glasses. There are entire drawers with labels like “Tortoise” or “Cateye” or “Rhinestone Tortoise Cateye.” I actually found a pair I absolutely fell in love with but much to Allison and Ursula’s chagrin I turned them down. They were inexpensive but I just got new glasses! For future reference: I rock an oversized tortoiseshell like no one’s business. Hold the rhinestones, please.

I steered the girls to one of my favorite boutiques of all time, appropriately called Meg. I’d been in a few times but had never bought anything because it is generally well out of my price range- the designer, Meg, hand makes each team with herself with a small team of seamstresses helping. She has boutiques in NYC, Dublin, and Toronto so she often isn’t in the NYC location.
Photobucket
To my luck, though, she was in today! I happened to find a lovely skirt on sale for a very low price and at Meg’s behest, tried it on. Low and behold, this gorgeous, navy, high-waisted, tulip-hemmed number looked amazing. Perfect for law school…and beyond! Added bonus: when I jokingly asked about getting a discount for also being named Meg, she took $10 off! I was delighted. She then offered me a thousand labels that said “Meg” in case I was going to camp this summer and needed to sew them in my underwear. I love this lady.

After a much needed coffee and rest in a park with the ladies, I went to the Corner Bistro in the West Village to meet a few other friends for a burger and a beer.
Photobucket

In case you were wondering, this is what heaven looks like:

Photobucket

Falafel and a hamburger all in one day is too much for me, y’all. I headed home with quite the stomach ache but I swear, it was worth it.

2 comments:

  1. That might just be the best looking heaven I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitely need a blanche. hurry up and be rich.

    ReplyDelete