Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Coney Island Mermaid Parade and Circus

For about thirty years, Coney Island has hosted the Mermaid Parade in homage to the Mardi Gras celebrations that used to take place there. There are all kinds of crazy costumes and floats, many of which are, well, scandalous. Since I had never been to coney island, I was game for the adventure. Generally, Coney Island conjures up thoughts of sunshine, beaches, carnivals. But on this day, it meant rain. And more rain. And throw some cold wind in there as well. What the heck is going on Mother Nature? This picture sums it up for me:
Photobucket
When the lifeguards are bundled up in head-to-toe parkas, it's probably time to go home.Or, it's time to go in the ocean!

Photobucket

My feet regretted that decision when they were still wet six hours later. Still, totally worth it! We braved the weather under the restroom pavillion eating Nathan's hot dogs until the parade started.
Photobucket
Elaine, Jessica, Elizabeth, James and Allison

Photobucket
If you can believe it, the guy in the white suit, mask and rifle was not associated with Shoot the Freak.

Photobucket
Apparently, last year at the parade there were so many people you couldn't walk on the sidewalk and could barely see the sand on the beach. It eventually filled in but we were lone, brave souls for a while.

Miraculously, the rain stopped right when the parade got to us. Even stranger, it began again immediately after the final group passed us. We are troopers, for sure. Speaking of troopers, what do you get when you cross a Storm Trooper with Borat? Exactly what you'd imagine:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
There were so many children on stilts. In the rain. They were awesome, but made me nervous.

Photobucket
The Amazing Zoltar was self-propelled! It was built on a Segway. WANT.

Photobucket
This adorable girl leapt out of her stroller and yelled "Byeeeeeeeeee!" before bolting down the parade route. I would've killed for that costume when I was her age.

Photobucket
I kind of cut it off in the picture but this headdress was so cool.

Photobucket
King Neptune, aka Harvey Keitel


Just when you thought this day couldn't get any zanier, we headed to the circus! That's right, a real Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey circus! One of my favorite, favorite memories is the time I went to circus when I was very young, just me and my mom. I still ate my weight in popcorn and squealed at the white tigers, elephants and trapeze artists. It was amazing!

Photobucket
I wasn't kidding about the popcorn.

Photobucket
Jessica and Elizabeth couldn't smile or their noses would fall off!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the walk back to the train we passed this amazing place:
Photobucket
A little kid walking in pointed and screamed, it's candy heaven!! And he was right.

Photobucket
That caramel apple changed my life for the better.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I wasn't wearing James's jacket. I kind of want my shirt to be immortalized on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete