Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm out of New York shape, part two

After lunch, I hated to stand up because my back and legs were already so tired. I popped a few Tylenol and plowed ahead to the Met.


It was perfect, I managed to escape the rain until I was about a block away. Nothing like a rainy day in the Met.

I don't want to go into exhibition reviews here but I thought the Francis Bacon centenary retrospective was one of the finest I've seen. Often times a chronological approach to an artist's oeuvre feels forced but in Bacon's case it seemed natural. His works generally have psychologically jarring imagery with bold color.

Painting, 1945

I was anticipating becoming somewhat immune to the imagery after seeing so many works but that didn't happen. Pleasant seems like an inappropriate word, so I'll say it was an exciting surprise. An excellent exhibition.

I was tired and didn't have much patience for The Pictures Generation: 1974 - 1984 so I'll give it another chance when I go back. The much anticipated Model as Muse: Embodying Fashion was disappointing, it felt unfocused. Or too focused? I don't know what it was but it was strange. I liked all the pretty clothes, though!
Dior gowns, designed by John Galliano.


The renovated American Wing was beautiful if not my area of interest. And I somehow finally found the Musical Instruments rooms! I loved it.

After all this, I needed to give my aching limbs a coffee break and read a bit of my book (Jurassic Park- have to get the fun things in before I head back to school!). Two minutes later, I wandered into the Arms and Armor area only to have a very tall man run into me. Imagine my shock when I realized it was Dr. Ian Malcolm himself, a.k.a Jeff Goldblum.

It was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment