Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Decemberists and a Lovely Lunch (amended!)

I almost forgot! Before the Decemberists show, Steev and I went to a secret sushi place in Irving Plaza. It's not exactly secret but it sure was difficult to find. We had a feast:
Photobucket

My sake inexplicably came in a square cup. Yes, square cups are difficult to drink from.
square sake
Now, back to what I said before:


On Wednesday night Steev and I took break from playing old school Donkey Kong to see the Decemberists play at Radio City Music Hall. I have loved the Decemberists for a long time and had only seen them play at fairly small venues. This was a real treat, since I had never been to Radio City. They played their entire new album, The Hazards of Love, from start to finish, including the two guest female vocalists that make the venture more like a rock opera.

Their second set was a little disappointing. The lead singer, Colin Malloy, insisted on doing a kind of choral thing with the audience that lasted forever (I came to hear YOU sing, not the crowd!) and then set up some kind of guitar battle with two people form the audience, neither of whom knew how to play guitar. It went on forever. This cover of Heart's Crazy on You, however, made it all worth it, I apologize for the poor sound.


The next day it was still raining so I headed into Manhattan just for a bit to have lunch with the director of studies at my graduate school, the wonderful Veronique. I owed her a big thank you for writing a law school recommendation for me and for serving as a reference countless times. It was a lovely and charming lunch, as Veronqiue is always fun to talk to about the crazy goings on of the art world. Then it was back home to back for a few days back in Dallas!

No comments:

Post a Comment