Thursday, June 18, 2009

Prospect Park and an Upper East Side Cocktail Party

It is cold and rainy today again so I've decided to hide out and work on this blog before heading into the city. I've been trying to run in the mornings at Prospect Park now that my asthma is back under control a bit. Prospect Park is a gorgeous oasis in Brooklyn, designed by the same landscape architects who created Central Park. Lucky me, it's only about five minutes from my apartment! And on my walk there I pass the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and the Brooklyn Public Library. I promise to take my camera some time and take real pictures but I couldn't resist taking these with my phone.*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yesterday's run was particularly awesome because I managed the 3.5 mile loop with mainly running. I was schocked and proud. I think it's because gems like Billy Joel's Uptown Girl and Hootie and the Blowfish's I Only Want To Be With You kept coming up. Who knew I had those songs in my library let alone on my iPhone? If only this rain would stop I'd be back out there...or so I tell myself.

Anyway, as excited as I was that my run went well it completely wore. me. out. I had big plans to head into the city for a bit before going to a cocktail party but no. Not even close. There was delivered Thai food and a two hour nap involved. I'm on vacation, right?

Once I mustered my strength, some friends and I headed into Manhattan for a cocktail party that we had actually RSVPed for on the Upper East Side. We thought it was being thrown by a friend from college at his father's apartment. But no, it was thrown by his girlfriend's father at his ridiculously fancy apartment. We should've known when there was an RSVP involved! Of course, I couldn't just whip my camera out at this place but I did whip out my phone for a few secret photos. I apologize that the camera on my phone does poorly in low light, but you get the idea.

Photobucket

I made it into a few penthouses in my time in New York for various school events but this one was really beautiful. This was a downright ornate, two-story terraced apartment that was decorated in a style that can only be described as "Spanish Mission House Dropped By Crane onto Upper East Side Apartment Building." We all decided it was gorgeous if not our style.


I liked how whenever we moved from one room to another we were referred to as the "young people." There were a considerable number of us, so it wasn't really that strange. We tried to hide out on a secret terrace for a while but the wind was already turning cold so we didn't last that long.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If there's one thing I believe in this world it's to be yourself and run with it. Wear whatever the heck you want, just make sure you have the confidence to pull it off (I have this problem sometimes.) That being said, I wanted to shake this girl and tell her "You are not filming a scene for Gossip Girl! Strapless, shiny green ruffles with peep toe ankle boots? Stop it!"

Photobucket

I will say, though, she seemed comfortable if shiny. And she was quite nice and easily talked to everyone there, which is more than I can say for me (I avoided most of the older people that I didn't know. I admit it. Contrary to popular belief I cannot talk with anyone unless it's for work).
All in all, I adored the whole thing. The company was lovely, the food was delicious and the cocktails were perfect.

Steev, however, was not amused. Not even by those gorgeous stairs.

Photobucket





*Yes, I take my phone on my runs rather than my little shuffle iPod. If you knew my anxiety about getting lost you'd want me to have it in a 585 acre park as well, even if it kills the spirit of adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment