Saturday, June 6, 2009

New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down

It's funny, I forgot how sometimes this city will just kick you in the teeth when you aren't paying attention. Yesterday was one of those days.

The good: I saw two movies! First, The Brothers Bloom, which I highly recommend. I was going to embed the trailer but after watching it, I realized it gives everything away! I went into it knowing nothing about it and I think that's the best way with this movie. So don't watch a trailer, just Netflix it when it comes out. Second, Up in Disney Digital 3D!!! at the Ziegfield Theater. This is one of those old, old movie theaters where they often have movie premieres:





I loved the movie, of course, and the theater was lots of fun.

On to the bad: I don't think it reached 60 degrees yesterday and rained constantly. It was perfect for movies, terrible for my hair. The guy at the ticket counter made fun of me for buying popcorn and for seeing a movie by myself. Uh, there were five people in the audience dude. All eating popcorn. All alone. Shut up. Still loved the movie, though!
I have been refusing to buy an umbrella but finally caved after the movie. I bought one (from a reputable store, not someone on the street corner!) and promptly got on the train back to Brooklyn. No point in walking around if it's freezing and raining. When I got off the train and opened my new, beautiful umbrella: broken. From the get go. Sigh. I walked from the train to the apartment with my arm over my head, trying to keep the thing open. The whole time I was thinking to myself, just get back and you can watch the new So You Think You Can Dance episode you DVRed last night! Hooray!

Except it didn't record. Thanks, jerk.

I head back into the city after a few hours to meet for the second movie. Refusing to buy another umbrella, I walked through the rain to Elaine's apartment and arrived with some awesome bangs again. Side note: turns out the guys had a half dozen or so umbrellas behind the front door. How on earth did I miss that?

All goes well at the movie until Steev and I are preparing to get back on the train to Brooklyn and I realize I can't find my Metrocard. I was stupid and left it in my back pocket, which is just asking for it to fall out in the pants I was wearing. Which apparently it did. UGH. The whole time I lived here I Never Ever, Ever lost my subway pass. I think you can call and get a replacement if you have the credit card you used to buy it but man, what a hassle. Better than dropping another $81 on a new one. I was ready to fall in to bed and wake up with a brand new day but unfortunately, New York had other plans. I woke up at about 4, terribly nauseous, having this ridiculous stomach pain, and, uh, a sore throat. Not sure where that one came from. In my stable of gut problems, this was a new one. AWESOME.


Here's hoping today turns out better- 80 degrees and sunny! Brunch with friends! A concert! Hooray!

Hey, New York? I still love you. Take it home, Kermit:


PS- I'm not sure this is the real video for this song, but let's pretend it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment