Monday, June 8, 2009

Hooray for Sunshine!

The weather finally turned this weekend to be sunny and beautiful. I spent both days doing loads of walking, enjoying the city. Saturday I met John, Elaine and Steev for brunch at Essex on the Lower East Side. It's pretty nondescript on the outside but gorgeous on the inside.



Rule #1 of New York City Brunch: You should have at least eight beverages in front of you at any moment:
Photobucket

After that, it was a lazy day that involved about three hours of Spades. I love that game!

Sunday morning I was PUMPED for the Egg Rolls and Egg Cream Festival at the Museum at Eldridge Street . The Eldridge is a synagogue built in 1887 that by the 1930s fell into disrepair as the surrounding neighborhood entered an economic decline. In 1986 a fundraising and restoration project began. Their efforts were completed in 2007 and the result is just gorgeous. I took some of these from their website because there were so many people there it was hard to get good pictures!





The synagogue is now located in Chinatown; this festival celebrates the two cultures living together in this neighborhood. I loved the yarmulke craft table and all of the kids running around wearing super sparkly yarmulkes.
Photobucket

Kosher egg rolls!
Photobucket

The egg creams were, well, for one thing they were made by ten year olds. Elaine and I decided they were a loose interpretation of seltzer, chocolate syrup and milk. They were weird.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I pretty much loved the whole thing.

Elaine and I then walked what had to have been twenty seven miles but the weather was so nice it was worth it. One of my favorite, favorite boutiques, Zachary Smile, was have a major sale. Their clothes are usually $75-250 but everything at the sale was under $30! It was awesome. The sale was just in a basement with no dressing rooms, so we were pulling things on over the dresses we were already wearing. A real NYC sample sale.

After that, we did more walking through SoHo until we found Sanctuary T and decided to stop for dinner.






Watermelon lemonade, delicious!

mac n cheese,delicious,truffle

Mac 'n cheese with truffle oil.

It was a lovely, lovely weekend! Now if it could just not rain this week...

2 comments:

  1. I think it's hilarious that you chronicle all the food you are eating! I love seeing the pictures of it all! It's obvious we're related because my days often revolve around what I eat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must not just be a Friess thing because all of my trips are usually planned around what I will be eating.

    ReplyDelete